Begg's

From HtownWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Former location of Begg's, 2015
Begg's advertisement, 1950
Begg's advertisement, 1966

Begg's was a chain of music stores founded in 1861 by Mr Charles Begg, with the first store opened in Dunedin, which was soon followed by branches throughout New Zealand.

A Begg's music store was operated in Hamilton between the 1950s and 1970s (and probably more widely). Specialising in pianos and organs, it also served as the main seller of tickets to local gigs. In 1950 the store was located at 187 Victoria St, and in the mid-1960s at 445 Victoria St (most recently the site of Michael Hill Jeweller), in the Begg's-Wiseman Building, formerly the location of Wisemans.